I hear that people are having trouble logging in, so we'll have to work on that so we can keep up with one another. It was a busy week in JAW - here's what I was invovled in - let me know what has been left out:
1. Staff Capacity Building - Sexual Offenses Act + Sexuality. Bongi, Thobile and I (the access to justice team) did a 2-day training with Grace, Victoria, Phakamile, Ntombi, + Gcinle. We had some very interesting conversations about why rape happens, what consent means and how cultural practices like damages place the interests of men over those of women and girls who have been raped in the community. We spent the second day learning about normal sexual development in children and looked at ways to overcome our uncomfortableness with talking to our children about sex. We talked about how the silence around sex in general makes it harder to surface issues like rape and sexual abuse and how making people feel ashamed of their bodies and their sexuality is a form of power over / oppression.
2. Up to Melmoth - Jenny and I went to Melmoth to have a meeting with Grace, Sabelo and Nozipho and I got to see the new JAW office. It looks great and has a nice meeting space. We took up new office furniture, so it's starting to feel more like home. The youth team was running workshops this week - looking forward to hearing about how it went.
3. Grace showed us the movie she made in Cape Town at the Womens Net training. She made a great film about HIV testing of women during pregnancy.
4. Jenny is off to the Cape for a leadership training course with the Proteus Initiative in conjunction with the CDRA. I hope it's rejuvinating and exciting for her -- a needed change of pace.
5. Christmas Party - we are getting ready for the Christmas party which will be held in Melmoth on the 18th of December. We all drew names for the secret santa exchange and are preparing our acts for the "JAW Have You Got Talent" search. So get ready!!!
I'm looking forward to reading all the updates about Phakamile's trip to Joburg, Bongi's meeting in Durban with the Provincial VEF, Grace's trip to Cape Town, the Youth Team trainings., the women's safetly audit in Yanguye and tea sharing exercise. We are also waiting for the results of the entrance exam written by several staff who want to apply to participate in the UKZN Center for Adult Education course. We are also waiting to hear from our interns from Australia who are coming to join us in January for a few weeks. Lots going on !!
I'm waiting to hear from you - let's try to start using this reflection space!!!